Why Marathon of Learning?

Back in 2011 I started capturing stories from my life. Or simple observations. The idea being that I need to remember what I’m learning and track how I’m thinking.

That year I had read Mindset by Carol Dweck and realized I didn’t like how I thought on a lot of things, particularly struggles and failure. I needed a more growth oriented mindset. So, I started writing.

Why marathon? It’s proven to fit well as it’s now 2018 and I’m still learning. Learning isn’t a sprint. Not a 400 meter dash. It’s ongoing. It’s life long.

More recently I’m learning the value of knowing, sharing and writing your story. This is part of my story.

Saturday, November 24, 2018

The Last Game

Spring of 1996.  Put on my uniform for the last time.  I took did my last warm up tosses.  Took my last practice ground balls.  Took the field for the last time.  Last at bat.  Last play in the infield.

I read somewhere that you usually don’t realize when you are doing something for the last time.  But, that day, I knew it was my last competitive baseball game.  My last college game.  At the time I wasn’t sad.  I was kinda relieved.  The next season I didn’t really miss the game.

I do miss tossing the ball and taking some swings but I don’t often find myself wishing I could play it competitively again.  HOWEVER, when people ask if I have any regrets in life I don’t have many BUT I absolutely regret that I didn’t give baseball my best shot.  I was gifted.  Lots of talent.  But, I didn’t give it my best effort.  I didn’t play to win.  I often played not to lose.  I didn’t enjoy the game as often as I should have.

Having said all that, I’m thankful that I can say this.  Baseball was a big part of my first 20 years but it’s not my life story.  I’m thankful I got to learn the lesson with baseball that I need for the rest of my life.  I may regret that I didn’t give baseball my all but it taught me to ensure that when my last days of more important things come I will have given them my all.  I may not always get it right but I don’t want to ever have that same regret.  I’ll give my all.


No comments:

Post a Comment