Years ago at CFA I would answer the phone anytime it rang. It made sense. I was here. I was available. I could answer most questions. AND when I wasn't at the store it wasn't uncommon for the phone to ring and ring. No answers.
I asked why we weren't answering the phone and the common answer was "I didn't know you had left and thought you'd answer it."
That's when I stopped answering the phone. But, I didn't just stop answering the phone. Before I stopped answering the phone I set the expectation that the phone should be answered by the 3rd ring, no more. I made sure we had a phone working and accessible to leaders at all times. Then, I stopped answering the phone. This was probably the most important step. If I had told them expectations and put phones out front but kept answering the phone we probably would have continued to have the same problem The key was me, the "leader", stopping the doing so that others could.
(Oh, and I hate talking on the phone. Sometimes good decisions can also be enjoyable. It's easy for me to assume that if I like something or if I want something that it must not be the best idea. Not everything good for you tastes bad.)
This can feel wrong. Leaders can feel like they are dumping on their team when they stop doing something. And, that could be the case if its not done the right way and for the right reasons. But, as long as a leader does something they are in the way of anybody else stepping up and taking that task, learning that skill, growing...
Nothing in our store is owned by somebody else that I didn't have to first stop doing. The "funny" part is I remember being frustrated that others weren't stepping up and taking these from me. It took a while for me to realize I had to let go in order for them to take these responsibilities.
What do you need to stop? Where are you in the way of other's growth?
Hint: ESRC is the tool to ensure this is done effectively
Why Marathon of Learning?
Back in 2011 I started capturing stories from my life. Or simple observations. The idea being that I need to remember what I’m learning and track how I’m thinking.
That year I had read Mindset by Carol Dweck and realized I didn’t like how I thought on a lot of things, particularly struggles and failure. I needed a more growth oriented mindset. So, I started writing.
Why marathon? It’s proven to fit well as it’s now 2018 and I’m still learning. Learning isn’t a sprint. Not a 400 meter dash. It’s ongoing. It’s life long.
More recently I’m learning the value of knowing, sharing and writing your story. This is part of my story.
No comments:
Post a Comment