Why Marathon of Learning?

Back in 2011 I started capturing stories from my life. Or simple observations. The idea being that I need to remember what I’m learning and track how I’m thinking.

That year I had read Mindset by Carol Dweck and realized I didn’t like how I thought on a lot of things, particularly struggles and failure. I needed a more growth oriented mindset. So, I started writing.

Why marathon? It’s proven to fit well as it’s now 2018 and I’m still learning. Learning isn’t a sprint. Not a 400 meter dash. It’s ongoing. It’s life long.

More recently I’m learning the value of knowing, sharing and writing your story. This is part of my story.

Friday, September 18, 2020

Viral Thinking

March 13, 2020.  That was the last day our dining room was open for customers due to a virus that's become most commonly known as COVID-19.  

For a week or so after, a topic of debate was masks and the initial message from health officials was for us to not wear masks in order to protect the supply of masks for medical professionals.  Just weeks later, masks became encouraged by the CDC and commonly seen in public spaces.  Chick-fil-A and the city of Durham then required them.  It's unusual to see folks in public without a mask now.

Somewhere along the way, masks went from a health issue to a political issue.  One side requiring them as a public health issue like seatbelts.  One side dismissing them as an infringement on their freedom, like freedom of speech.

Now it's become pretty easy to predict a person's opinion on masks and COVID-19 based on their political persuasion and church membership.  That just seems odd to me.  It's a virus.  It's science and medical.  Yet, we are collectively basing our stance more on politicians and pastors than scientists and medical experts.  Not to mention the media outlets that are mostly aligned with these groups.  For or against. 

It's a virus.  I don't call my representative when my shoulder starts hurting.  I also don't ask my pastor for advice regarding treatment for my thyroid.  I ask health professionals.  

When forming thoughts, it makes sense to listen to experts in that field.  I don't ask my financial advisor for help with my car's AC system.  

No comments:

Post a Comment