"Tony, you are an underachiever."
Those are the words of one of my college professors when I went to his office after getting a D on a book summary. I didn't respond too well to that comment in the moment BUT I didn't dismiss it either. And, it turns out he was right. Or, at least partially right.
That same year my college baseball coach gave me an opportunity I had been saying I wanted for 3+ years. I wanted to pitch. I had been at shortstop most of High School and College and it wasn't my favorite position. Pitcher and catcher were my favorites but thanks to some injuries early in High School plus the fact that our team needed a shortstop I ended up there most of my games. I kept asking my college coach for an opportunity at pitcher or catcher. The reality was we already had enough decent catchers so I knew that probably wasn't going to be my opportunity. But, a team rarely has enough quality pitchers. I asked for 3 years. "No, Tony, we need you at shortstop."
Then, in the fall of my senior year, my coach calls my name before a game and says "Tony, go warm up." I was a little confused. I was ready to play shortstop that game, just as I had for the previous 3 years. So, I asked "to pitch??" and he said "yes". YES!!!
I don't actually remember how that game went but it must have gone pretty well because by the spring, I was one of our top 3 starting pitchers. After 4+ years of no pitching, I had my opportunity and I was making the most of it... Until, my arm started throbbing. Because I hadn't been preparing to pitch, my arm wasn't conditioned to handle the strain of pitching. Many nights I couldn't sleep due to the pain. Advil and Motrin had become a daily supplement. By the end of that season, I not only couldn't pitch, I couldn't even throw the ball from shortstop to 1st base. I finished the year playing 2nd base so I could get the ball to 1st.
What if I had prepared during those years that I had been asking for the opportunity to pitch? I had enough talent to go right in and become a starting pitcher with zero preparation for years. I knew I was a better pitcher than I was shortstop but I hadn't prepared. Who knows if I had the ability to play at least minor league ball BUT I do know I was talented enough to at least consider it. When the opportunity presented itself, I wasn't ready.
At the end of my senior year instead of hopes of continuing playing ball, I was thankful for the time to rest my arm. I didn't throw a ball for over a year and the next time I did, it was on a church softball team.
My professor was right. I had underachieved. Thankfully, though, God had another door ahead of me that my baseball experience was preparing for. Another opportunity and, again, preparation would be key. Would I be prepared this time?
Why Marathon of Learning?
Back in 2011 I started capturing stories from my life. Or simple observations. The idea being that I need to remember what I’m learning and track how I’m thinking.
That year I had read Mindset by Carol Dweck and realized I didn’t like how I thought on a lot of things, particularly struggles and failure. I needed a more growth oriented mindset. So, I started writing.
Why marathon? It’s proven to fit well as it’s now 2018 and I’m still learning. Learning isn’t a sprint. Not a 400 meter dash. It’s ongoing. It’s life long.
More recently I’m learning the value of knowing, sharing and writing your story. This is part of my story.
No comments:
Post a Comment