Why Marathon of Learning?

Back in 2011 I started capturing stories from my life. Or simple observations. The idea being that I need to remember what I’m learning and track how I’m thinking.

That year I had read Mindset by Carol Dweck and realized I didn’t like how I thought on a lot of things, particularly struggles and failure. I needed a more growth oriented mindset. So, I started writing.

Why marathon? It’s proven to fit well as it’s now 2018 and I’m still learning. Learning isn’t a sprint. Not a 400 meter dash. It’s ongoing. It’s life long.

More recently I’m learning the value of knowing, sharing and writing your story. This is part of my story.

Friday, February 22, 2019

He's a good....

Sometime near my 10th year as operator we had some folks from CFA visiting the store and one introduced me as a "really good numbers operator".  They meant it as a compliment but that comment stuck with me and not in a good way.  Why did they qualify their statement with "numbers"?  Why not just "really good operator"?  I began studying what it would mean to be a good, well rounded, operator and committed to growing into that.

Fast forward to last week.  At our CFA gathering in California I was talking with a couple people and one introduced me as "a really good operator".  I immediately recalled that introduction 10+ years ago and the comment stuck with me...  and not in a good way.

A "good operator" runs a complete business.  Culture, numbers, results...  But, why did they qualify the statement with "operator"?  I'm sure they meant well.  But, I know operators that when I introduce them I wouldn't limit their introduction to "operator".  He is a great person.  A tremendous influence.  A caring person.  An impactful leader.  A good and faithful servant.  Sure they are also a "good operator" but that's not even close to capturing who they are. 

10 years ago I was introduced as a "good numbers operator".  Last week I was introduced as a "good operator".  Tomorrow I hope to be introduced as a good and faithful servant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment