Why Marathon of Learning?

Back in 2011 I started capturing stories from my life. Or simple observations. The idea being that I need to remember what I’m learning and track how I’m thinking.

That year I had read Mindset by Carol Dweck and realized I didn’t like how I thought on a lot of things, particularly struggles and failure. I needed a more growth oriented mindset. So, I started writing.

Why marathon? It’s proven to fit well as it’s now 2018 and I’m still learning. Learning isn’t a sprint. Not a 400 meter dash. It’s ongoing. It’s life long.

More recently I’m learning the value of knowing, sharing and writing your story. This is part of my story.

Wednesday, February 27, 2019

A/C switch

                                      Image result for 1990 blue honda accord ex
My second car was a 1990 blue Honda Accord with a sun roof.  I really enjoyed that car.  It was quick, handled well and it had a sunroof!  It also had 90,000 miles when I got it...

A while after I got it, the dial for the A/C control broke and I was left with a little metal knob that I needed pliers to adjust anytime I wanted to adjust my climate control in the car.  I drove it like this for well over a year.

Motormite 76894 HVAC Heater Control Knob for 90-93 Honda Accord

My mom asked me why I wasn't getting a new plastic cover so that I could adjust the temperature like most people and I told her I didn't want to spend the $$.  I don't remember the cost but lets go with $25.  She then asked me if I thought I would get a knob before selling the car and I told her YES.  Then she asked if I had $25 I could spend to get the new one and I told her YES.  Then she asked why would I intentionally deal with the difficulty for so long if I knew how to fix it and had the $$ to do so...?  If I was going to spend the $25 eventually, why not go ahead and do it now and enjoy the benefit going forward?

People tend to do this with their homes, too.  It's not uncommon for people to decide to sell their house, do the repairs/remodels to make it sell better and then realize they like their house so much more after the repairs/remodels.  Why did they wait to spend the??  They could have done it a year ago and enjoyed the investments but they waited.  Same $$.  Less benefit.     

What is broken in your day that you are choosing to deal with the hard way when the solution is available now?  What are you waiting for?     

   

No comments:

Post a Comment