Why Marathon of Learning?

Back in 2011 I started capturing stories from my life. Or simple observations. The idea being that I need to remember what I’m learning and track how I’m thinking.

That year I had read Mindset by Carol Dweck and realized I didn’t like how I thought on a lot of things, particularly struggles and failure. I needed a more growth oriented mindset. So, I started writing.

Why marathon? It’s proven to fit well as it’s now 2018 and I’m still learning. Learning isn’t a sprint. Not a 400 meter dash. It’s ongoing. It’s life long.

More recently I’m learning the value of knowing, sharing and writing your story. This is part of my story.

Friday, January 18, 2019

Doughnuts Make You Stronger!


Image result for baseball doughnut

Prior to an at bat, the next batter in the lineup typically is in the "on deck circle" where they are preparing for the at-bat.  Getting their batting gloves on tight.  Applying pine tar to the bat to enhance the grip.  Timing the pitcher.  And some use a doughnut on their bat to help them in the moments before their at-bat.  What is this doughnut?  It's a weight that slides onto the bat so you can take practice swings with a slightly heavier bat so that when you are at the plate, preparing for your real at-bat your bat will feel lighter.  There is debate about whether this practice actually improves bat speed or just makes it feel faster.  Regardless of the science, that preparation contributes to the batter's confidence as they approach the plate.  And, that is what matters.  Hitting a baseball isn't easy.  Hitting a baseball when you have doubts is even harder.  You've got to be fully prepared and even then, you are likely to fail 70% of the time.

Changing gears just a bit.  For 2 years I was the Chairperson for the Board of Directors at Voyager Academy.  I didn't really want that role but I was asked and it appeared to be the right time and some of the needs of the time fit my strengths so I accepted.  I anticipated that it would be a challenging time and I wasn't wrong.  In fact, I had underestimated the challenge and the weight of the role.

Voyager is a school with 1,300 students.  Probably about 700-800 families represented.  Over 100 full time staff.  One of the larger Charter Schools in NC where there is a heated debate on the merit of Charter Schools.  Just ask the Mayor of Durham what his thoughts are.  Some people in powerful positions in the city and state are looking for any reason to shut them down.  Google Excelsior Academy and read the headlines of what the city did to them last year.

So, we need to educate the kids in a way that optimizes their opportunities the rest of their lives AND we have to do it in full compliance with state regulations.  Some of those make sense and some... not so much.  There is alot going on in a school Voyager's size.  Alot that has to work and work the right way.

When I'd drop kids off in carpool, attend school events, see Voyager uniforms in our dining room, meet parents in the community or wake up at 2:00 AM I was reminded of how much was riding on the school.  And, the board is in charge.  And, the chair has the most influence on the board.  So, one could argue that the single most influential role at the school is the chair.  Maybe not on what happens that day but on the health and sustainability of the school over the next 1-5 years.  That is alot of weight.  For 2 years. 

But, last June (2018), my term ended.  I wasn't just done with my time as chair but my term as a board member was up.  Suddenly, that responsibility was gone.  That weight was gone.  And, it was noticeable.

I've been a CFA operator for over 20 years.  Every day for over 20 years.  That's over 7,300 consecutive days.  And, it's not a light weight role.  There have been many days that the weight of the role has seemed overwhelming.  Sometimes entire years where this was the case.  It seemed the odds of succeeding were way less than getting a hit against a major league pitcher.

BUT, after those 2 years as Voyager Chair, when the extra weight of that role was taken away, the role of "only being an operator" felt lighter.  I felt more prepared to do my primary role.  I still had the same responsibilities.  The weight of the bat I was swinging was still the same.  The difficulty of hitting the pitch was still the same.  But, by swinging that bat with the extra weight from that other role for 2 years, the bat felt lighter when that temporary role was taken off. 

What I've learned is that a good way to prepare for my "at bats" as an operator at CFA is to find a "batter's box" that has a doughnut that I can take a few swings with so that I feel more prepared for the real at bats.  These are shorter term commitments outside CFA.  School board, Church role, coaching sports, Advisory Boards, mentoring...

If your role professionally feels heavy, you probably need to find a "doughnut" to add to your bat and take some swings.  Maybe for a week.  Maybe a year.  Maybe a couple years.  When your time with that commitment ends, your remaining roles will feel lighter.  You will be more prepared as you approach the plate to take your swings. 

Baseball players typically use that doughnut before each at bat.  Not, once a game or once a week.  What is your doughnut that is preparing you for your real at bats?  For some, CFA is the doughnut for another role.  For others, CFA is the game and they need to have a doughnut to help them with their at bats at CFA each day.             

Oh, and it doesn't have to be a heavy weight.  A baseball doughnut typically weighs 1/2 to 1 lb.  But, its 1/2 to 1 lb more than you are used to swinging.  You don't need to be a chairperson of the school board.  Maybe assistant Sunday School teacher of kindergarteners.  Coach of a rec ball team.  Mentor to a couple younger people.  It just needs to be a little weight to prepare you for the real at bats.         

   

                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment