Why Marathon of Learning?

Back in 2011 I started capturing stories from my life. Or simple observations. The idea being that I need to remember what I’m learning and track how I’m thinking.

That year I had read Mindset by Carol Dweck and realized I didn’t like how I thought on a lot of things, particularly struggles and failure. I needed a more growth oriented mindset. So, I started writing.

Why marathon? It’s proven to fit well as it’s now 2018 and I’m still learning. Learning isn’t a sprint. Not a 400 meter dash. It’s ongoing. It’s life long.

More recently I’m learning the value of knowing, sharing and writing your story. This is part of my story.

Friday, December 7, 2018

Puzzled - Part II




Last night I was sitting in front of a fire doing the puzzle and Riley came over to join in.  When she took a look at the pile of pieces she immediately started placing them in their spots.  She was flying.  Pretty sure she made some comment to me about how slow I was.

Then, once she got some in, I was able to start finding pieces quicker.  What happened???

I had been working on the puzzle for probably 45 minutes before she came over so I'd gotten used to the pile of pieces I had and I had gotten bogged down looking for particular pieces.  She came over and had a fresh perspective.  She saw the same pieces I did but she saw them differently.  And then, as she started adding them, she changed my perspective because then we needed different pieces.  Some of the pieces I had been staring at now had a place to go.

Do you ever get stumped on a problem?  Maybe you've tried 2-3 things and they aren't working.  You probably should ask somebody to share with you what they think a solution might be.  Get a fresh perspective.  They may see a clear answer or they may be able to change the situation just enough so that the answers you'd been trying now work.

It almost never hurts to get a second, or third, perspective.               

No comments:

Post a Comment