Why Marathon of Learning?

Back in 2011 I started capturing stories from my life. Or simple observations. The idea being that I need to remember what I’m learning and track how I’m thinking.

That year I had read Mindset by Carol Dweck and realized I didn’t like how I thought on a lot of things, particularly struggles and failure. I needed a more growth oriented mindset. So, I started writing.

Why marathon? It’s proven to fit well as it’s now 2018 and I’m still learning. Learning isn’t a sprint. Not a 400 meter dash. It’s ongoing. It’s life long.

More recently I’m learning the value of knowing, sharing and writing your story. This is part of my story.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Kindling

I'm a big fan of quotes.  But, recently I have been wondering what their value is.  It made me think about why I like them.  Here is what I came up with.

Kindling.

Kindling, as in the stuff you use to start a campfire to keep warm, prepare food or just to gather around, relax and maybe tell stories.

Good kindling catches fire quickly and burns long enough to allow the larger, longer burning logs to catch fire, which ultimately enable you to keep warm, cook, or tell ghost stories.  Without kindling, it is very hard to start a fire simply with a large log.  But, if all you have is kindling, your fire will burn out pretty quickly.

A good quote "kindles" your thoughts and imagination, which are the logs in your fire.  The resulting fire can enable growth and change through actions, just like the camp fire enables you to cook food or keep warm on a cold night.

Like kindling, though, by itself, a quote will burn quickly and won't provide much heat.

Have you collected the kindling for your camp fire?





No comments:

Post a Comment