Why Marathon of Learning?

Back in 2011 I started capturing stories from my life. Or simple observations. The idea being that I need to remember what I’m learning and track how I’m thinking.

That year I had read Mindset by Carol Dweck and realized I didn’t like how I thought on a lot of things, particularly struggles and failure. I needed a more growth oriented mindset. So, I started writing.

Why marathon? It’s proven to fit well as it’s now 2018 and I’m still learning. Learning isn’t a sprint. Not a 400 meter dash. It’s ongoing. It’s life long.

More recently I’m learning the value of knowing, sharing and writing your story. This is part of my story.

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Olympic Training: Life or Death Motivation

One of the few Olympic sports that uses judges to determine scores that I enjoy watching is gymnastics.  The process of determing a winner still frustrates me but those gymnasts are amazing athletes.  What guy wouldn't love to snap his fingers and have the muscles that the olympic guys have?  To be able to do what they do on the rings is amazing.  But, this isn't about one of the guys.  It is about one of the women.  Yes, I said "women", not girls.  Most Olympic "women" are 16-21 years old and they are pretty old at 25.  But, there was one woman that was representing Germany that was 37 years old.

Oksana Chusovitina is the only female gymnast to compete in 6 Olympics and she began performing internationally in 1989.  Many of the girls she was competing against this year weren't even born at that time.  What has motivated Oksana to continue so long in a sport ruled by teenagers and 20 year olds?

Well, in 2002 her son was diagnosed with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia and the best option for his survival was for Oksana and her family to move to Germany where he could be treated.  Oksana depended on prize money and relationships in gymnastics to help fund the treatment.  Her son's life depended on her not just doing gymnastics, but doing it well enough to win. 

What do you do for a living?  Could you do it better if your son's life depended on you being the best?  Truett Cathy, the founder of Chick-fil-A, often asks if we are giving our best effort and if we aren't he asks, "why not... why not.... why not?"  Does it take a life and death situation to motivate us to do our best?  Should it?

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Colossians 3:23 - Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men,

Matthew 5:16 - In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
       

   

No comments:

Post a Comment