I recently had the opportunity to take a friend to the range to do some target shooting. It was his first time shooting a gun. I showed him the basics including gun safety, then let him have a shot at the targets down range. He set up well, holding the gun properly, looked confident and appeared to have the sights lined up on the target well. Only problem was that the targets weren't getting hit by his bullets. After a couple shots, I lined up behind him and was able to tell him where he was missing based on where dirt was kicking up. It was easier for me to see this, as his spotter, than it was for him. So, instead of just knowing he missed, he now knew if he was missing right, left, up or down. As a result, he was able to make adjustments in between shots. This ultimately led to the bottle with colored water getting a couple holes in it about the size of a .22 round. Success! Could he have eventually hit the target without me? Absolutely! Did having a spotter help him reach success quicker? I think he would say it did. He went from missing by as much as 2-3 feet from 25+ yards at the beginning to hitting bottles on consecutive shots in his final round. I suspect he would say it was also more fun when he started hitting the targets. It was fun to shoot, but even more fun to see results.
Who is your spotter? Are you delaying success in an area of your life because you are trying to do it on your own? Do you have somebody that can point out where you are missing? Are you restricting the enjoyment you could have because you are insisting that you do it on your own? If you are a leader, are you hindering a follower's growth because you are not asking a fellow leader to spot for you?
I used to be a firm believer that it was up to me to do it on my own. "If it has to be, it is up to me". That is a good statement as far as taking responsibility but it can lead to you maybe trying to do it on your own. How about, "if it has to be, it is up to me to find people to help me"?
Why Marathon of Learning?
Back in 2011 I started capturing stories from my life. Or simple observations. The idea being that I need to remember what I’m learning and track how I’m thinking.
That year I had read Mindset by Carol Dweck and realized I didn’t like how I thought on a lot of things, particularly struggles and failure. I needed a more growth oriented mindset. So, I started writing.
Why marathon? It’s proven to fit well as it’s now 2018 and I’m still learning. Learning isn’t a sprint. Not a 400 meter dash. It’s ongoing. It’s life long.
More recently I’m learning the value of knowing, sharing and writing your story. This is part of my story.

No comments:
Post a Comment