Each year since 2006 there seems to be a significant event, project or theme that sticks out for me. In 2006 it was training for and running my first, and still only, marathon. 2007 was the year we hit Symbol of Success at the store. In 2008 we participated in the development of the Recipe for Service. 2009 started as our best year ever and ended with me restructuring and restaffing my team for the future. 2010 was a year of struggles as an owner, leader, dad and husband.
How about 2011? And, what will it be in 2012?
As I wrote in a previous post, I entered 2011 with rumors about Zaxby's opening in our area. It turned out that they opened on the other end of our parking lot. I learned a lot about trust and perseverance through this. To control my anxiety about things I couldn't control. To see opportunities in the challenges. When I was tempted to complain or give up, I realized that I wouldn't just be letting myself down but also those that know me. I would be missing an opportunity to set an example of trusting God, persevering, and growing.
We opened in July of 1999. After Zaxby's opened in July of 2011, I was asked by a school and a church to come speak. I had never been asked before this. In both cases, students asked me how I felt about Zaxby's opening next door and I was able to share how I grew from being depressed and worrying constantly to trusting God and focusing on those things that I could control. I have since had the opportunity to speak to/with other groups. Nothing for 11+ years. Then, after working through Zaxby's opening, God has opened numerous doors to influence others. What if I had stayed in my depressed, victim mindset?
2011 was the year of learning to trust God and developing a growth mindset.
How about 2012? Well, 2011 began with the anxiety of a competitor opening and potentially hurting our business and impacting my family's well being. At least financially. 2012 begins with recent news that my dad has some abnormal blood test results, has had a bone marrow biopsy and we are awaiting the results. I don't know what the results will be. I don't know how this will play out in the upcoming year. I do know that I learned lessons in 2011 that I can apply in 2012.
Why Marathon of Learning?
Back in 2011 I started capturing stories from my life. Or simple observations. The idea being that I need to remember what I’m learning and track how I’m thinking.
That year I had read Mindset by Carol Dweck and realized I didn’t like how I thought on a lot of things, particularly struggles and failure. I needed a more growth oriented mindset. So, I started writing.
Why marathon? It’s proven to fit well as it’s now 2018 and I’m still learning. Learning isn’t a sprint. Not a 400 meter dash. It’s ongoing. It’s life long.
More recently I’m learning the value of knowing, sharing and writing your story. This is part of my story.
No comments:
Post a Comment