Here is another learning from a run at the beach this past summer. One morning Regan was supposed to run with me at the beginning and I would run further after she finished. I went to get her and she was stalling, not wanting to run but after much proding she finally went out with me. Let's just say it wasn't the smoothest 1 mile jog. Lot's of walking and complaining. When she was done I continued and eventually met up with Kaylyn who was finishing her longer run. She wasn't exactly having a great morning either and wasn't eager to have a running partner. But, I joined her heading back toward the house. Since I hadn't gotten much mileage yet I continued past our house and decided to take one of the side streets that I don't normally take. I passed an older woman walking a couple dogs along the way. It was a dead end road and I started my way back and this time I saw the lady lying in a grassy area beside the road with the dogs. At first I thought she was just relaxing with the dogs but as I got closer she yelled to me, asking for help. It turns out the dogs had caught her off balance and she had fallen and could not get up on her own. Once I had helped her up, she was able to continue walking and insisted she was fine so I continued my run. I decided to go back to the main road and head up a little farther and then come back to check on her. By the time I got back a few minutes later, she was gone. I also noticed that where she had fallen was not very close to the main road.
I realized that all the delays I had endured that morning and my need for variety on my runs had put me in the right place to help this woman. Who knows how long she would have been stuck there. People on the main road wouldn't notice her and it was too far to yell. God had used our imperfections to put me where he wanted me to help her. If the morning had gone smoother, as I was hoping, I would have probably passed the woman coming back before she had fallen.
That's a good reminder that God uses us, rusty tools, to carry out His will. He doesn't need us to be perfect. He is greater than we can imagine and can overcome all our imperfections. That sure is comforting.
Why Marathon of Learning?
Back in 2011 I started capturing stories from my life. Or simple observations. The idea being that I need to remember what I’m learning and track how I’m thinking.
That year I had read Mindset by Carol Dweck and realized I didn’t like how I thought on a lot of things, particularly struggles and failure. I needed a more growth oriented mindset. So, I started writing.
Why marathon? It’s proven to fit well as it’s now 2018 and I’m still learning. Learning isn’t a sprint. Not a 400 meter dash. It’s ongoing. It’s life long.
More recently I’m learning the value of knowing, sharing and writing your story. This is part of my story.
No comments:
Post a Comment