For the first time in my life I have been commited to having planning days once a month. I started this about 4 months ago and have been pretty good at making sure that day happens. What I found, though, was that I had trouble using that day wisely. I had to learn how to plan. Does it mean learning, reading, filling things in on my calendar, reviewing results, meeting with others? I knew that if I stuck with it and tried different things, I would figure it out.
Yesterday was my most recent planning day and I tried something new. I actually planned for my planning day. Not just by keeping that day clear on my calendar. I actually filled up my day with things I wanted to get done and had them in time slots. I had a meeting with a friend to discuss service and leadership. I had calendar updates. I had learning. I even had lunch with Kaylyn. I was a little concerned when I got behind first thing in the AM with my breakfast meeting but it was worth it. I was able to catch back up before lunch, though. I even was able to get a little ahead before meeting Kaylyn for a nice relaxing and tasty lunch.
It was right after lunch that I really saw the benefits of planning. On the way home from lunch, Kaylyn called because the window on her van stopped working and was stuck down. So, I spent about 30-45 minutes getting her van to a shop to get it repaired. While this wasn't in my plan, I had put the actions that were most important first in my day so the afternoon was filled with "optional" stuff that I knew I could get caught up on if I didn't do it right then. This became even more important because I got a call from a friend that needed some help and I was able to help without neglecting anything important in my "planning" day. As it turned out, I got 1 of the 3 things done that I had planned for that afternoon. But, I got all the stuff done that I had planned in the AM (the important stuff).
If I had not planned for my planning day, I know I would have wasted time in the AM figuring out what to do and then when my plans got off track in the afternoon, I would have not gotten some important stuff done.
I certainly had a few wrenches thrown into my planning day, and a few into my van, but because I actually planned, it didn't hurt as much. I recently read a statement about how some of the great football coaches viewed planning and prep. It was the single most important thing they did according to them. Their success was directly related to their planning and preparation.
I like the quote, "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail." It's that simple. It's also that convicting.
Why Marathon of Learning?
Back in 2011 I started capturing stories from my life. Or simple observations. The idea being that I need to remember what I’m learning and track how I’m thinking.
That year I had read Mindset by Carol Dweck and realized I didn’t like how I thought on a lot of things, particularly struggles and failure. I needed a more growth oriented mindset. So, I started writing.
Why marathon? It’s proven to fit well as it’s now 2018 and I’m still learning. Learning isn’t a sprint. Not a 400 meter dash. It’s ongoing. It’s life long.
More recently I’m learning the value of knowing, sharing and writing your story. This is part of my story.
No comments:
Post a Comment